(0418) 872 599

Fraser Island – FAQ

1) Do I need to make a booking for the barge?

This is preferred, the Manta Ray Barge runs on demand from the hours of 6 am – 5.15 pm daily.

2) Are there patrolled beaches and when are they patrolled?

There are No patrolled beaches on Fraser island.  The nearest patrolled beach is at Rainbow Beach.

3) Are there restaurants and other places to eat on the island?

There are a variety of restaurants and cafes on Fraser Island, with fresh local seafood often on the menu.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available at a number of different locations.

4) Can I go whale watching on Fraser?

Land based whale watching is extremely popular on the Island.  Humpback whales can be seen between June and November from a number of vantage points.  Each year in the Southern Hemisphere humpback whales migrate from their summer Antarctic feeding grounds, along Australia’s continental coastline to tropical regions to breed and calve in winter.

5) Can I take a caravan or trailer to the island and how much does it cost?

Caravan and trailers, which are attached to a vehicle, can travel to the Island.  The cost is $230.00 return for a camper trailer/tinnie/trailer or $260 return for caravans or boats.

6) Do I need a 4WD permit? Where can I purchase it from and how much does it cost?

4WD permits are required when driving on the beach or camping on Fraser Island.  The team at Manta Ray Fraser Island Barge can assist you with this and you can book online at: www.nprsr.qld.gov.au or purchase from our Manta Ray Barge & Permit Office at Rainbow Beach.  Permits must be purchased prior to departure.

7) Do I need to book my campsite and who do I contact?

All campsites, including foreshore camping, must be booked and paid for prior to arrival. We recommend you book in advance in peak times such as Christmas, New Year, Easter and school holidays.  For bookings contact our rainbow Beach booking office on (07) 5486 3935 or check availability & book online at: www.nprsr.qld.gov.au

8) How do I get to Fraser Island and do I need a 4WD?

Fraser Island is only accessible by 4WD or Tour bus service or bush walkers.  The only way to get to Fraser Island is by the Fraser Island Barge Services.

9) What shops are available on the island?

General stores and fuel are available at Eurong, Happy Valley, Cathedrals and Kingfisher and Orchard Beach Store providing groceries, bread, alcohol, bait, ice, meat, vegetables, souvenirs, resort wear, camping equipment, fishing gear, postage facilities and telephones.

10) What do I do if I have an accident on the island?

There is a Police Station at Eurong. First aid and emergency medical assistance can be obtained from the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service ranger stations. In the event of an emergency please call 000.

11) Are dogs allowed on the island and is there accommodation or camping locations that will accept them?

Dogs are not allowed on Fraser Island.



Why Choose the Manta Ray?
  • Available 365 days a year
  • Locally owned and operated
  • A portion of our profits go to support the local community
  • Our aim is to provide a Friendly, professional service.